With time the technology and human living standards have been developing rapidly. This development has brought many side effects along with it. One such side-effect is the occurrence of various diseases or disorders in living beings.
One such disorder is related to the human genitourinary system. In simple terms, the diseases or disorders related to the human reproductive and urinary system. It includes kidneys, urinary bladder, urethra, and other urogenital organs. The study of these organs and disorders related to these organs is called urology. A person treating people with the disorders is a urologist.
Urology and Urologist
Urology- It is a branch of medical science and physiology concerned with the functioning and disorders of the genitourinary system. In 1588 a Spanish surgeon named Francisco Diaz wrote the first treatises on bladder, kidney, and urethra diseases. Modern urological procedures were later invented in the 19th century.
Urologist- A person who is well trained about urinary tract disorders and an expert in treating problems is a urologist. They are trained well and sometimes have specializations in women’s urology, pediatric urology, male infertility, sexual health, and reconstructive urology.
A. Ranganadha Rao was an Indian urologist. Also, he was the first person to perform kidney transplantation in India.
Types of Genitourinary disorders
- Glomerulonephritis- It is a group of diseases that injure a part of the kidney that filters blood. Dialysis is one of the methods to cure glomerulonephritis.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome- It is a condition in which blood vessels are destroyed. It leads to kidney failure. It is treated with good medical care and a blood transfusion.
- Polycystic kidney disease- It is an inherited disorder in the kidneys. Clusters of a cyst containing water-like fluid are formed. It is a chronic disorder that can last for years. The treatment depends on the severity of the disorder. One of the methods is kidney transplantation.
- Hydronephrosis- It is a condition caused due to presence of extra fluid in the kidney. In case of infection, this is treated with antibiotics. Sometimes the excess fluid needs to be removed from the kidney or bladder.
- Urinary tract infections- This disorder is common in women. It occurs in any part of the urinary system that is kidney, bladder, or urethra. It can be treated with antibiotics.
- Megaureter- as the name suggests, this is a condition where the ureter is wider than three-eighths of an inch. It occurs due to bladder blockage or abnormality of the ureter itself. This disorder primarily occurs in children.
- Posterior urethral valves- They are small leaflets tissues in the ureter which block the urine. This disorder is cured by performing surgery.
- Ureterocele or urethral duplication- It is a defect caused during birth. The ureterocele blocks the urine and damages the urinary system. This disorder is also cured by performing surgery.
What Makes a Urologist the Best?
Urologists are people who examine and treat people in their genetic area. They need to make their patients comfortable before treating them. They need to have compassion and empathy towards their patients while treating them.
They need to have a good sense of humor while dealing with sensitive cases. Most people believe that if the doctor talks with affection, most of the disorder is cured. Hence, urologists need to have good communication skills. They also need to be adaptable to adapt to new technologies and procedures. They also need to possess problem-solving traits and should have an eye for detail.
Genitourinary disorders are common nowadays, and they can hugely damage. One should acknowledge the symptoms and consult the Mejor urólogo en Miami as soon as possible to diagnose and cure the disorder early. Each one should keep healthy to be disease-free, but do not hesitate to consult a specialist if one gets infected.